Make kde 1st class in fedora

Bernardo Innocenti bernie at develer.com
Sat Nov 18 14:31:47 UTC 2006

Avi Kivity wrote:

>> The fact that these applications originated as proprietary software is
>> still very recognizable today.
>
> What's recognizable is that they're user-oriented instead of developer
> oriented.
> [...]

I can hardly disagree with all your arguments.  After all, the programs
I've been whining about are top-rated killer applications, and very
appreciated in the Windows world too.

As you pointed out, maybe my perspective is not user-oriented, because
I'm actually a developer (or should I say a mature UNIX diehard?) with
distinct habits and usage patterns.

To us UNIX geeks, a good text editor is a much better configuration tool
than any dialog box exactly because it's orthogonal with the application
and provides powerful tools such as search, infinite undo and the ability
to keep copies of different configurations etc.

When we, the minority, choose an application for our own *personal*
use, we don't care about the rest of the world and shouldn't need to.
If an application design is unable to satisfy both the needs of regular
users and people with "special requirements" like us, we are left behind.

As Spok told us, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few,
but many of us have been using Linux and other UNIX flavours because
they were designed by our ancestors with our unusual behavioral patterns
in mind.

Where should we turn to if the usability of our platform gets compromised
for the sake of a few billion lusers?  ;-)

 \X/  http://www.develer.com/