rawhide report: 20061118 changes

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Sat Nov 18 19:55:53 UTC 2006

RE> Was that supposed to be a joke? I thought that the nouveau project
RE> had not produced anything close to usable code up to now, bot I
RE> may be mistaken, of course.

There seem to be a couple of misconceptions.  First, from what I've
gathered watching the IRC traffic, ajax intends to provide nouveau
as a parallel-installable module.  The existing nv module will still
be there and will still be the default.

Second, the nouveau project has produced a 2D driver which is in many
ways superior to the existing nv driver: the code has been somewhat
de-obfuscated, EXA is supported, etc.  It still has many bugs, of
course.  A significant portion of the information necessary to start
work on 3D has already been gathered and work is being done towards
that end.

 - J<