Core + Exrtas 2

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Mon Nov 20 13:27:32 UTC 2006

Hi,

Now that the discussion on this is getting started allow me to chime in with my 2 euro cents:

In general I like the proposal which can be found here:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraSummit/ReleaseProcess

I've got 2 questions though:
1) I think there should be a procedure to skip update-testing, this will ofcourse be needed
   for security fixes, but also for trivial correct (and somewhat important) fixes and to fix
   brownpaper bag bugs.
2) What about new packages? FE is growing almost daily. One of the huge advantages of the current
   model is that people can get access to new packages within a stable cycle. I like the whole do not
   update unless there is a good reason model to give people more stability, but most new packages
   will not hurt stability of existing packages, and will have 100% impact on our users unless they
   specificly instruct yum to install the new package. There will ofcourse be exceptions, but as a general
   rule of thumb I think it should be normal procedure for new packages to enter the stable branch so that
   all our users can benefit from them (not only those running devel) and so that all our users can test
   them. Remember, release early release often. I think we should do this entering through updates-testing so
   that we can catch any last minute bugs.

Regards,

Hans