Reducing Fedora memory footprint?

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed Nov 22 13:36:10 UTC 2006

Pekka Savola <pekkas <at> netcore.fi> writes:
> I'd like to reduce the memory footprint of FC6.  Are there already
> webpages that describe how to make Fedora more manageable on those 3-4
> year old "junk hardware"?  (Some also have worried about the disk
> space footprint, but let's leave that out of scope for now..)

In my experience, the biggest problem with Fedora on low-memory systems is
getting it installed. Anaconda tends to just lock up or reboot if it doesn't
have at least something like 256 MB RAM. As for actually running it, it just
works on my Pentium II 266 laptop with 160 MB RAM. Some apps like Synaptic
(command-line apt and aptitude are bearable) and the usual suspects (OO.o,
Eclipse) are just unusable or borderline unusable though. Synaptic used to
require a lot less memory with the old repository format, repomd is a big
memory eater (which might also explain why Anaconda needs so much memory).

        Kevin Kofler