openmotif to be removed from Fedora October 2, 2006

Mamoru Tasaka mtasaka at ioa.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Fri Sep 1 11:35:35 UTC 2006

Well, for Japanese:

> I have rebuilt "evince" with "dvi" support, and it's not that bad! I suggest
> to enable "dvi" support by default to encourage user feedback for fixing
> open issues with it.

I tried evince with dvi support but evince cannot display dvi file (with
Japanese character included) correctly.

tetex-xdvi using Xaw3d (not openmotif) seems to work well and I think
this is one of the most desirable ways for FC6.

>> It depends. One can use pdftex/pdflatex instead of tex/latex so that
>> DVI viewers (and gv, dvips) are not needed in this case as the PDF is
>> the only output. The dvips + gv way isn't always too smooth and I have
>> to say that xdvi is still the best dvi viewer despite of its age.
>>
>> If the most of the teTeX users accepts the usage of pdftex tools, then
>> moving at least some of the dvi tools to Extras makes sense.
>>
>> Jindrich

pdftex, pdflatex is not useful for Japanese users. Currently, for
Japanese people using Fedora Core, the only way to get pdf document from
tex is to use
platex (Japanese version of latex) -> pdvips (Japanese version of dvips)
   -> ps2pdf
because pdflatex, dvipdfm don't work well for Japanese users.

Mamoru Tasaka