yum question, reverting to old packages.

Richard Hally rhally at mindspring.com
Sat Sep 2 19:15:03 UTC 2006

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-09-02 at 13:32 -0400, Richard Hally wrote:
>> So maybe we should remove --oldpackage/--nodeps/--force from rpm. It
>> follows the gnome 'dumb it down' approach.
>
> No, we just don't enable these functions in the "helper" apps.  We don't
> want to help you ruin your system, we'll let you do that on your own
> with RPM.

Excellent! RPM considered harmful. Of course our "helper" apps are not
helpful when you need help the most. </sarcasm>

Sorry Jesse, perhaps in trying to improve the design of yum or rpm we
need to think in terms of reversibility so that updates are not 'forward
only'. When considering improvements we need to think about robustness
and recoverability.

Richard