error running yum for the first time

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Tue Sep 5 20:55:13 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-09-05 at 12:50 -0700, George R Goffe wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> I have just installed fc6t2_x64  since the upgrade processes seem to
> produce a system that panics.
>
> I get these messages from yum list all for my troubles. I just
> thought someone might care about this so I'm reporting it.
>
> George...
>

> [root at mechanic ~]# yum clean all
> Plugin "downloadonly" uses deprecated constant TYPE_INTERFACE.
> Please use TYPE_INTERACTIVE instead.
> Plugin "changelog" uses deprecated constant TYPE_INTERFACE.
> Please use TYPE_INTERACTIVE instead.
> Plugin "tsflags" uses deprecated constant TYPE_INTERFACE.
> Please use TYPE_INTERACTIVE instead.
> /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/yum/plugins.py:381:
> DeprecationWarning: registerOpt() will go away in a future version
> of Yum.
> Please manipulate config.YumConf and config.RepoConf directly.
>   DeprecationWarning)
> Cleaning up Everything
> [root at mechanic ~]# yum list all > alldayums.txt
> /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/yum/plugins.py:381:
> DeprecationWarning: registerOpt() will go away in a future version
> of Yum.
> Please manipulate config.YumConf and config.RepoConf directly.
>   DeprecationWarning)

The (harmless) deprecation warnings are being worked on...

> Unable to read version lock configuration: [Errno 5] OSError: [Errno
> 2] No such file or directory: '/etc/yum/pluginconf.d/versionlock.list'

...but this is by design - if the versionlock plugin is enabled it will
refuse to do anything at all unless a versionlock list can be found. The
rationale is that if you care enough about package versions to use
versionlock plugin, you don't want a config file gone missing (or
unreachable due to network break etc) mean that the system can be
updated to any available package versions. So it needs to stop.

The fix is to either 'rpm -e yum-versionlock' if you don't use it or to
provide the missing config file.

	- Panu -