My favorite pet bug (2004): Yum mishandles Ctrl-C

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 21:53:32 UTC 2006

On 9/6/06, Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 06 September 2006 16:29, Richard Hally wrote:
> > If you were to separate the list of packages to be updated into multiple
> > smaller transactions so that package A would have its cleanup operation
> > follow its update operation and then the next *transaction* would update
> > and cleanup the next package, one transaction would not affect the other.
> > Of course, dependencies would have to be accommodated by including them
> > in the proper transaction. But that would still allow unrelated
> > packages to be in separate "transactions."
>
> This type of logic would have to go into RPM as its RPM that knows in which
> order to install the packages (and thus the broken up package sets).  Yum
> should continue to be able to hand rpm a complete list of packages to
> install, rpm should handle that set in a safe way.

Regardless of which layer the logic goes, I have to ask how expensive
is it going to be time-wise to identify an optimal group of
transactions, seperated into distinct groups of inter-dependant
packages.  I think we already have an example of this being done
sub-optimally, in the shell scripts listed in the wiki to help people
automate nightly updating.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Tools/yum under Tips and Tricks.  I
believe that the shell scripts listed there do exactly the sort of
mini-transactions being talked about, sub-optimally, as a side-effect
of doing sequential yum update commands.

-jef