Keeping the Devel Mirrors Up-to-Date

Ian Burrell ianburrell at gmail.com
Fri Sep 22 19:38:44 UTC 2006

On 9/22/06, Thomas M Steenholdt <tmus at tmus.dk> wrote:

> It would be really nice if there were some good, universal and simple
> way to see how updated a site mirror is.
>
> One approach that I find to be working well is what debian is suggesting
> for their mirrors ( http://www.debian.org/mirror/ftpmirror ). Not only
> does this "trace method" provide info on when the mirror was last
> sync'ed, it also shows the "route" of the mirroring, i.e. what mirror
> this mirror mirrors from (confusing yet true :o)).
>
> Although this does not sort the actual problem of the stale mirrors, it
> will give people an easy way to monitor their own (local?) mirrors and
> perhaps even allow people to select a few often-updated near-by mirrors,
> instead of getting packages from a stale mirror across the ocean.

It is fairly simple to compare the timestamps in the repomd.xml files.
 If the timestamps are older than the master, then the mirror is
out-of-date.  This doesn't help with mirrors which are in the middle
of syncing or had a failure.  Mirrors could use the rsync
--delay-updates option to make the updates more atomic.

 - Ian