alsa-oss

David Nielsen david at lovesunix.net
Wed Sep 27 14:59:52 UTC 2006

ons, 27 09 2006 kl. 09:46 -0500, skrev Fibonacci Prower:

>         to be honest, aoss sucks too. In fact any emulation solution
>         so far is
>         pretty crappy in one way or the other ;-(
>
> But it's the best we've got so far.

No, native ALSA is the best we've got and soon it will be the only thing
we have since the OSS drivers are slowly being removed from the kernel.
I don't think I can mention a single widely used program in Core or
Extras that only works with OSS so I wouldn't be surprised if the
emulation layer died around the same time as well seeing as it has
served it's purpose.

>         It has been how long since ALSA took over? It's time to phase
>         OSS out
>         entirely....
>
> What about Flash & Skype? Should we wait for new versions using ALSA
> to be released in 208, and stop using them meanwhile?

Since when did we make technical decisions around proprietary software?

>         (and skype is afaik even from after the alsa release so they
>         have for
>         sure no excuse at all!)
>
> But they still use OSS - try to convince them to switch to ALSA.

Start by convincing them to give us the code under a license we can
distribute, then their maldesign can be taken into account.

- David Nielsen