alsa-oss

Oisin Feeley oisin.feeley at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 17:42:50 UTC 2006

On 9/27/06, Fibonacci Prower <fibonacci.prower at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2006/9/27, Rudi Chiarito <nutello at sweetness.com>:
> >
> > On Wed, Sep 27, 2006 at 12:01:17PM -0500, Fibonacci Prower wrote:
> > > You not liking Skype is not a reason to remove support for it. It's
> > the only
> > > way millions of people have to talk with their loved ones without the
> > phone
> > > bill skyrocketing. And yes, that includes me.
> >
> > Again: there have been two public Skype betas out for a while, maybe for
> > two
> > months now. It already works better than the stable release. And yes,
> > it does use ALSA.
>

> The accent is on "betas".

What have you found non-functional about the betas?

Is there some reason why you can't use Ekiga?   It comes in a nice, easy to
install RPM (unlike skype which only has RPMs for FC3 and FC4 or
tarballs).   Also, as Rahul has pointed out, the aoss stuff is available if
you really need it.

But why go through the pain?   Is it because the people you want to talk to
will only run Skype?

Oisin