Multilib packages and common identical files issue

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Thu Sep 28 12:16:35 UTC 2006

Rex Dieter wrote :

> Matthias Saou wrote:
>

> > Am I right to believe that this is a bug in rpm, where it should be
> > keeping these "common" files upon erasing one of the two multilib
> > packages (and ideally timestamping them with the correct timestamps
> > from the remaining package)?
>
> rpm certainly should be leaving identical common files behind (and it does
> in most cases).  If not, then imo, it certainly is a bug.

But it seems like it doesn't... maybe only for "special" files tagged
as documentation or translations. Still, it looks like a bug. If no one
knows of an existing bug report about this problem, I'll file a new one.

Matthias

Fedora Core release 5.92 (FC6 Test3) - Linux kernel 2.6.18-1.2693.fc6
Load : 0.07 0.12 0.20