rpm build/pa issues

Ted X Toth txtoth at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 14:36:05 UTC 2006

Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-09-21 at 07:41 -0500, Ted X Toth wrote:
>
>> Paul W. Frields wrote:

>>> The Release Notes don't address specifically building a new kernel RPM.
>>> The typical Fedora-specific way for building the kernel AIUI would be to
>>> use rpmbuild and the specfile, as for other RPMs.  Doing so makes
>>> EXTRAVERSION work as expected, and (when using --target=i686) generates
>>> the expected .i686.rpm kernel(s).  I'll add a sentence or two to the
>>> Release Notes that discusses this.
>>>

>> Could you include them here now also, please?
>>

> Rather than using "make srpm" from within the BUILD/kernel*/linux*
> folder, you can include your custom config file(s) in the SOURCES/
> folder, edit the specfile as needed, and do "rpmbuild -ba --target=i686
> SPECS/kernel-2.6.spec" to build your custom kernel.

I appreciate your help but please understand I'm not a kernel developer
but rather an application developer who needs, at times, to use the
latest kernel. With that in mind which "custom config files(s)" are you
referring to that I'd need to move to SOURCES? What edits if any need to
be made in SPECS/kernel-2.6.spec if all I'm trying to do is create a
binary rpm for the specified architecture?

Ted