rawhide report: 20060929 changes

John Thacker johnthacker at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 14:29:37 UTC 2006

On 9/29/06, Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora at leemhuis.info> wrote:

> I knew the reasons for the rename. But I still can't see any reasons why
>  we shouldn't ship gutenprint as a update in FC6....

Because ethereal -> wireshark was an incremental release, a small
bugfix change, even with the name change.

Gutenprint is the first release off an entirely different branch
(that's been branched for four years), and a much more significant
change of the codebase.  Hence the ethereal -> wireshark analogy falls
apart.  Gutenprint is a change more on the order of, say, the move
from gnumeric 1.x to 2.0.

Generally, though not always, updates, especially of criticical system
software, are limited to smaller incremental changes and not massive
new versions that involve entirely different branches.  At least
that's my take.

John Thacker