rawhide report: 20060929 changes

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Fri Sep 29 16:16:16 UTC 2006

Jesse Keating schrieb:
> On Friday 29 September 2006 11:48, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>> Sure. But I think it looks a bit odd to outsiders to have good hardware
>> support in Fedora Core on one side (kernel, sane, often Xorg) but old
>> drivers that lack support for new hardware on the other (gimp-print).
>
> But in the case of the kernel, its a new release of the same code set, with
> some improvements.  We're not going to switch to a kernel branch that has
> been branched 4 years ago.

Agreed. Gutenprint's development model should more follow the "release
early, release often" scheme. But we don't have to decide it ;-)

> If a bunch of work went into gimp-print and
> improved things greatly, sure that'd be an easy update.  This is different.

It is different, but not a reasons to leave users out in the cold
without drivers for another half year (yes, having those drivers in
Extras is better then nothing, but not enough IMHO).

And gutenprint is just one example: I have some Mainboards with Intel
G965 chipset at hand atm. Intel provides a linux driver, but it requires
Xorg 7.1, which itself includes a proper driver. I would do the same
noise about updating Xorg 7.0 to 7.1 in FC5 now that the ati/nvidia
problem is solved if FC6 wouldn't ship soon.

CU
thl