xfce - unowned directories?

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Wed Apr 4 03:38:34 UTC 2007

ok. I finally dug into this some more...

The following seem pretty clear and clean up a lot of the issues:

libxfce4mcs:

+ %{_libdir}/xfce4/mcs-plugins
(all the packages that currently own this dir need the
libxfce4mcs-client library that this package provides.)

xfprint:
- %{_libdir}/xfce4/mcs-plugins/

xfce4-mixer:
- %{_libdir}/xfce4/mcs-plugins/

xfce4-panel:

+ %{_libexecdir}/xfce4/
+ %dir %{_sysconfdir}/xdg/xfce4/
+ %dir %{_sysconfdir}/xdg/xfce4/panel/
- %{_libdir}/xfce4/mcs-plugins/

xfce-utils:

+ rm -rf %{_datadir}/apps/
- %{_sysconfdir}/xdg/xfce4/
- %{_datadir}/apps/switchdesk/*
(switchdesk package has it's own Xfce file, and this one isn't used for
anything anymore, it's not even in a place switchdesk looks)

xfdesktop:

+ %{_libdir}/xfce4/modules/
+ %{_datadir}/xfce4-menueditor/

xfce4-session:
+ %dir %{_sysconfdir}/xdg/xfce4-session/
+ %dir %{_sysconfdir}/xdg/autostart/
+ %dir %{_libdir}/xfce4/splash/
+ %dir %{_libdir}/xfce4/splash/engines
+ %dir %{_datadir}/xfce4/tips/
+ Requires: redhat-menus (in order to own %{_sysconfdir}/xdg/

(in xfce4-session-devel subpackage):

+ %{_includedir}/xfce4/xfce4-session-4.2/

(in xfce4-session-engines subpackage):

+ %{_datadir}/themes/Default/balou/

xfce-mcs-plugins:

+ %{_libdir}/xfce4/mcs-plugins/
+ %{_datadir}/xfce-mcs-plugins/shortcuts/

Outstanding questions:

%{_sysconfdir}/xdg/autostart/ is owned already by gnome-session.
Is it ok for xfce4-session to also own this directory? I would think
so.

/usr/share/themes is owned by gtk2, xfce4-session-engines requres
xfce4-session, which requires gtk2, so this should be taken care of?
Or am I missing something there?

Then we get to:

%{_libdir}/xfce4 - currently owned by xfce4-panel

packages with issues here:

xfce-mcs-plugins
xfce4-session
xfce4-session-engines
xfprint
xfwm4

Should those get a Requires: xfce4-panel?
I don't think it makes much sense to move that to a lib* package that
never puts anything in there. ;(

%{_datadir}/xfce4 - currently owned by xfwm4 and xfce4-icon-theme

packages with issues here:

xfce-mcs-manager
xfce-mcs-plugins
xfce4-appfinder
xfce4-session
xfprint

Might make the most sense here to move it to xfce-mcs-manager?
It uses the dir and is early enough in the chain that I think
everything else will depend on it.

%{_datadir}/xfce4/doc - currently owned by xfdesktop

packages with issues here:

xfce-mcs-manager
xfce-mcs-plugins
xfce4-appfinder
xfce4-panel
xfce4-session
xfprint
xfwm

Move also to xfce-mcs-manager?

%{_includedir}/xfce4 - currently owned by libxfce4util-devel

Ah, I think all these will be fixed by adding to libxfce4mcs-devel,
xfce4-session-devel:

Requires: libxfce4util-devel >= %{version}
Requires: libxfcegui4-devel >= %{version}

and to xfprint-devel:

Requires: libxfcegui4-devel >= %{version}

I kinda hate to make all these changes in the freeze time, but this
does need to be cleaned up. ;(

Perhaps I could build everything in a private repo here and we could
re-run the directory ownership script against it to confirm everything
was taken care of?

Anyhow, any and all input happily accepted...

kevin