sysvinit VS initng VS upstart VS launchd (Was: Future New Init for FC7?)

Trond Danielsen trond.danielsen at fedoraproject.org
Thu Apr 5 10:33:23 UTC 2007

2007/4/4, Patrice Dumas <pertusus at free.fr>:
> On Wed, Apr 04, 2007 at 05:37:10PM +0200, Bernardo Innocenti wrote:
> >
> > LSB had just finished standardizing the init scripts and now we're
> > going to break things again.  Users *are* going to complain.
> > Analysts *are* going to say Linux is fragmented.  Microsoft *is*
> > going to publish studies saying that Linux has higher TCO because
> > of multiple init systems ;-)
> >
> > This doesn't mean there should be a single codebase.  Multiple
> > systems could compete as long as they are 100% (or maybe just 99%)
> > compatible config files and user interface.
>
> All the init systems should be parallel installable, so the choice is
> only for the default init system.

If I understand you right, you want Fedora to support all (or many) of
the available init systems. I think this is a very bad idea. Creating
a distribution is not about just shipping as many applications as
possible, but to make some qualified choices so that the end user does
not have to worry about every detail. After all, Fedora is not Gentoo.
This only adds additional work on developers and packagers that could
much rather have been spent on more useful things.

--
Trond Danielsen