hal + pam update errors

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Fri Apr 6 14:38:20 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-04-05 at 22:52 -0500, Michael E Brown wrote:
> For the previously discussed HAL problem, would it be possible to create
> an updated HAL.i386 RPM that would _only_ be placed inside the x86_64
> repo? This new hal rpm could simply contain one file:
> /etc/yum/pluginconf.g/shoot-on-sight.d/hal.data containing one line:
> "hal-*-*.i386" and it could have one dependency: "requires:
> shoot-on-sight-plugin".
>
> That way it doesnt conflict with any files, and gets removed on the next
> yum run.

then we'd be doing this at the package level, which we're trying to
avoid. And this plugin is useful beyond this situation.

I think the plan would look something like:
- drop this plugin into the yum pkg, enabled by default, for fc6
- drop this plugin intpo the yum pkg, enabled by default, for rawhide/f7

- mark that hal.i386 should be removed from x86_64 boxes if found (ditto
hal.ppc64 on ppc64 boxes)
- mark out any others we want to nuke as it goes.

that's it.

and speaking of that - I realized the file format needs to be slightly
more complex in order for it to be the same file used across archs.

It should probably look like:

pkgname/glob: arch-it-is-on

or:

<removespec pkgmatch="some-pkg-v-r.arch" on_arch="i386">

that way we can make sure that on i386 boxes we don't remove hal.i386.
b/c there it is actually desired. :)

Thoughts?

-sv