New mirror layout for the merged core and extras

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Fri Apr 6 15:24:48 UTC 2007

David Woodhouse schrieb:
> On Fri, 2007-04-06 at 11:05 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>> Last time Jesse did some major adjustments on the directory layout on
>> the server (one year ago iirc -- can remember what the reasons was the
>> files were hardlinked into the new place and deleted one or two weeks
>> later in the old place; someone that regularly rsyncs with the proper
>> parameters doesn't have to download everything anew that way iirc.
>> Isn't this a option this time? Or am I missing something?
> That would help -- but only for people who were already mirroring
> Extras,

Well, you at least to download rawhide itself anew. But yes, if you
didn't mirror Extras yet, then you now are forces to...

/me mirrors rawhide (and not Extras) in two places and fears the merged
world a bit due to the new space and bandwidth requirements....

> and who have the 'proper parameters' to rsync. What are those,
> btw?

/me checks

>From the man page:
[...]
        -H, --hard-links            preserve hard links
[...]
       -H, --hard-links
              This tells rsync to look for hard-linked files in the
              transfer and link together the  corresponding  files
              on  the receiving side.  Without this option, hard-linked
              files in the transfer are treated as though they
              were separate files.

              Note that rsync can only detect hard links if both parts
              of the link are in the list of files being  sent.

CU
thl