sysvinit VS initng VS upstart VS launchd (Was: Future New Init for FC7?)

Trond Danielsen trond.danielsen at fedoraproject.org
Sun Apr 8 17:40:54 UTC 2007

2007/4/8, Patrice Dumas <pertusus at free.fr>:
> On Sun, Apr 08, 2007 at 08:59:24PM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> >
> > If you are advocating for alternative init systems I hope you take
> > sometime to do that.
>
> I am not essentially advocating for alternative init systems, but I am
> advocating for diversity and not having artificial entry barriers. I
> have already seen people saying only one dm, only one libc, and so on
> and so forth. This, in general, comes with a preference for desktop
> users and for things that just work, even if they are not easy to
> customize. I'd like that power users (like myself) also keep on use,
> contribute and feel that fedora is right and welcoming for them.

_Nobody_ has suggested that only one desktop environment or a single
window manager should be available in Fedora. Please stick to the
facts.

The point that you seem to be missing is the fact that there is a huge
difference between shipping two window managers and two different init
systems. For each init system all packages  that provide services
would have to maintain different start-up scripts for each init
system.

 I think it is better to test and benchmark the different init systems
outside of the main repositories, and when the time is right, and
opinions backed by measured results, a new init system can be
introduced into Fedora.

--
Trond Danielsen