JBoss and Fedora

Fernando Nasser fnasser at redhat.com
Mon Apr 9 14:41:32 UTC 2007

Timothy Spaulding wrote:
> What's going on with the JBoss acquisition?  Are there plans in place to get JBoss packaged with
> Fedora and released as an open source product?  Any insights?

This is a multipart question:

1) Open source

It always has been, as far as I remember at least

2) Packaged as RPMs

Available since times immemorial at www.jpackage.org

3) Fedora

Although you can use the JPackage.org RPMs with proprietary JDKs (maybe
even with GCJ, I haven't tried), what you want is a set of RPMs
pre-compiled with GCJ and bundled with Fedora.

While I can't tell if that is in the plans, I can tell that it needs
maven2 and that will come in Fedora 7.  So, at least for Fedora 7+ there
is hoe.  For FC6 and previous there is no chance.

Regards,
Fernando