DeltaRPM works great on Fedora Core 6 (yum presto plugin)

Till Maas opensource at till.name
Wed Apr 11 16:29:43 UTC 2007

On Mi April 11 2007, Jesse Keating wrote:

> Well, we don't ask the mirrors to generate things, we generate things at
> the source and the mirrors just pick it up.  If the mirrors have to do
> something themselves, we've lost.

The delta rpms only need to be created at the source.

> I really don't want to add this midstream to a released product.  The right
> process here is to get it working in rawhide during the open development
> cycle, start producing the content for it at the source, have it mirrored
> out and get more and more people beating on it during rawhide.  If it

The yum plugin is already in Fedora Extras 6, only the official delta rpms are
missing. They can be generated without interfering with the full rpms, so
they cannot break anything on peoples machines, that do not use yum-presto
(the delta rpms plugin). For this reason, I see no harm done, when they get
already distributed by Fedora / generated at the source. Only the directory
layout needs to be decided upon.

Regards,
Till