Why not GNU's Findutils?

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Sat Apr 14 21:22:29 UTC 2007

On Sat, 14 Apr 2007, Debarshi 'Rishi' Ray wrote:

> I have seen that Fedora Core uses Red Hat's implementation of 'locate'
> and 'updatedb', while sticking to GNU's implementation of 'find'. Why
> is it so? Is there any reason for not using GNU's implementation of
> 'locate' and 'updatedb' as well, since they alongwith 'find' are part
> of GNU Findutils (http://www.gnu.org/software/findutils)?

It used to use "slocate" instead, which is a more secure version of locate.
It takes uids/gids into account about wether locate is should show certain
hits or not. AFAIK, the gnu version (at least at the time), ran as root for
updatedb and located all private files that other users could then use locate
on.

Paul