Yum-presto 0.3.9 - FC6 *and* Rawhide

Tony Nelson tonynelson at georgeanelson.com
Sun Apr 15 21:48:34 UTC 2007

At 8:36 PM +0200 4/15/07, Thomas M Steenholdt wrote:
>Jonathan Dieter wrote:
>> On Sun, 2007-04-15 at 12:38 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
>>> But as far as what needs to be exposed on your repo after the deltarpm's
>>> are generated, we're talking 91M?
>>>
>>>     -Mike
>>>
>> Yep.  Though I have to keep the rpms so I can continue to make deltas.
>> But only the drpms have to be exposed.
>>
>> Jonathan
>>

>This is probably something that sould probably be debated for the
>official inclusion of presto in F8(?)... Do we want to generate
>deltarpms for any possible delta, allowing a deltarpm update, using
>presto, to latest release regardless of the currently installed version?
>Or do we only want the deltarpm from the previous release to the newest,
>from base version to newest or what should the policy be here?
>
>I'd personally like to see that we had all possible deltas on the
>mirrors. To make sure we save on every update and not only some.

I think the powers that be would want to be shown exactly how much storage
and how many files would be required for all the pairs of package updates.
The number of updates for all pairs for a fast-moving frequently updated
package, e.g. the kernel and its ilk, might be large.  Well, I only notice
5, but I may have missed some.  I don't know how to find out all the
released updates.

                    n!      n*(n-1)
                 2*(n-2)!      2

    n is number of versions (original + updates)
    d is number of deltas
    recurrance:  d(n+1) = d(n)+n

    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9  10  11  12  13  14  15
    0   1   3   6  10  15  21  28  36  45  55  66  78  91 105