perl package split - if you maintain a perl-* module, read this message.

Robin Norwood rnorwood at redhat.com
Mon Apr 16 18:26:26 UTC 2007

Hi,

We'd like to go ahead with the perl-devel and company packaging split.
The idea is to get the '-devel' pieces out of the main perl package, and
into perl-devel.  We're also splitting out other development related
perl modules, such as CPAN and ExtUtils::MakeMaker.  See the
fedora-perl-devel mailing list archives if you're curious about the
details.  Since making this change will break existing builds of most
perl-related modules, we'd like to add the following packages to the
default buildroots:

perl-devel
perl-ExtUtils-MakeMaker
perl-ExtUtils-Embed
perl-Test-Harness
perl-Test-Simple

Since perl is already assumed to be in the buildroots, and these
packages are all split from the main 'perl' package, we aren't adding
new software to the buildroots, just shuffling things around a bit.  For
F8, we'll get the perl packages BuildRequires 'fixed' to include these
packages, which we can then remove from the buildroots.

Thoughts?

-RN

--
Robin Norwood