packaging and binary incompatibility coming from the compiler

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Tue Apr 17 10:23:43 UTC 2007

On Tue, Apr 17, 2007 at 10:45:27AM +0100, Andrew Haley wrote:

> Maybe I'm having difficulty understanding you.  Is the problem that a
> Red Hat compiler version is binary incompatible with the upstream
> compiler?  And we have not handled library versioning correctly?

No, the issue is that the library compiled with the fedora compiler
in previous fedora release isn't ABI compatible with the library compiled
with the fedora compiler in current release. This is not an issue as such,
but the problem I see is that the user can only know that when there are
runtime crashs or misbehaving if there was no soname change. With a
soname change it is a bit better because there will be a typical error
message right when starting the application.

--
Pat