Why is Fedora a multimedia disaster? - Here is why.

Christopher Aillon caillon at redhat.com
Tue Apr 17 15:07:01 UTC 2007

Valent Turkovic wrote:
> I install a fresh Fedora7 (test 3) then run web browser and go to
> fedora magazine page - from there I download some video ogg files from
> it.
>
> Why is it that when I click on the file I can't view the video? Player
> just crashes! And the default player is kamboodle! Why is that?!? That
> is the worst video player I have seen ever! On any platform!
> Opensource or not there is no excuse to put that player as the default
> one!

I'll note that you didn't choose the default Fedora disc, looks like you
chose the Fedora-KDE spin instead.  Kaboodle might have been a bad
decision, but the KDE spin of Fedora hasn't been around for that long,
so filing bugs like this is appreciated.

If you're looking for something closer to FC6, I suggest the default
install which IIRC has both GNOME and KDE packages.