perl package split - if you maintain a perl-* module, read this message.

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Tue Apr 17 16:05:59 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 17 April 2007 12:00:52 Robin Norwood wrote:
> Well, the buildroots currently have 'perl-devel' because we made 'perl'
> Require 'perl-devel' - which is obviously wrong for the long term, but
> in the short term fixed the builds.  What we're doing now is further
> splitting things out so there will be more packages, *and* removing the
> Requires.  There's been some further discussion on
> fedora-perl-devel-list about this, and the alternative is to *not* add
> the new packages to the buildroots, and just have people fix their
> packages.  Not to be a total weathervane here, but personally I'd just
> as soon not add the packages to the buildroots, and fix the broken
> packages now.  I just don't feel like I have enough of a feel for which
> option people will prefer to make a call.  So, if you have an opinion,
> speak up now.

Personally I think it's rather late in the game to be doing such things,
especially because we only have one test release to get things right and the
final to correct what we got wrong.  I'd rather see the rest of this split
happen after F-7 is branched off devel/ and focus on getting it right in
devel/

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora