Getting to a final F7 feature list

John Poelstra poelstra at redhat.com
Tue Apr 17 16:38:04 UTC 2007

At yesterday's Release Engineering meeting I volunteered to work on the "F7 Feature Smackdown" so that we have a clear message and understanding as to what features will ship in F7 and which features won't.  This will also hopefully be useful for an early start on the release notes.

I started at this page: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/7

Scrolling to the bottom of the page I found:
1) http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/7/MustHave
2) http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/7/FeatureList

My initial observations are:
1) There seems to be a very low correlation of items on the "MustHave" list to the "FeatureList"
2) Here http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ReleaseEngineering/Meetings/2007-apr-16 it was stated that unfinished features will not block a release.  How do we reconcile that with having a "MustHave" feature list?  Perhaps we are arguing about semantics (and I have no desire to start a thread now on Feature vs. Time based scheduling), but can we state our intentions a clearer way?

Now I'm off to check in and update status for each of these: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/7/FeatureList
If you are a feature owner and can get there first that would be a big help.

I'll send a summary once I am done.

Thanks,
John