ConsoleKit question: USB device interfacing libs

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed Apr 18 22:29:20 UTC 2007

I have a question about ConsoleKit which I haven't found answered anywhere, so
I'm asking it here (not on fedora-test-list because this is a
development/packaging question):

When packaging a library which interfaces to pluggable peripherals through
libusb, in order to make it work out of the box (i.e. make the peripheral work
out of the box for the user physically in front of the computer ("console
user"), who's assumed to be the owner of the pluggable peripheral), on Fedora
Core 6, the following files are used:
/etc/udev/rules.d/60-lib*.rules
/etc/security/console.perms.d/60-lib*.perms
The udev rules recognize the devices by their manufacturer and device IDs and
create a symlink with a recognizable name, the console.perms.d rules then tell
pam_console to chown devices with those names to the console user. (See libnjb
and libmtp in FE6 or libticables2 at repo.calcforge.org for examples of this.)

My question is: Does the above still work on Fedora 7? Or does the introduction
of ConsoleKit change the picture there? If it's the latter, what changes?

        Kevin Kofler