perl package split - if you maintain a perl-* module, read this message.

Chris Weyl cweyl at alumni.drew.edu
Thu Apr 19 16:19:32 UTC 2007

On 4/18/07, Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 18 April 2007 10:38:31 Robin Norwood wrote:
> > Well, as Ralf points out elsewhere in the thread, this will break
> > packages upon rebuild, at which point they will need the appropriate
> > BuildRequires added...So I think this will be a problem only if the
> > package owner hasn't read this thread and isn't aware of the change.
>
> I'm more concerned about sites rebuilding on their own, not our own packagers,
> especially since adjustments to our build system don't help people that don't
> use our build system.
>
> But maybe I'm just being too paranoid within Fedora space...

People, developers and packagers make reasonable assumptions based on
years of experience with perl:  core modules will always be available
where perl is installed, for one.  We're breaking that here, by
imposing our own classification of "core devel" vs "core", and having
to do a lot of tap-dancing very late in the release cycle to even deal
with it in a passable fashion entirely inside our own buildsystem.
(Not to mention a user's system.)

It's not paranoia you're feeling here :)

                                  -Chris
--
Chris Weyl
Ex astris, scientia