Change of historical behavior

Dax Kelson Dax at gurulabs.com
Sun Apr 29 19:29:29 UTC 2007

...... Original Message .......
On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 08:25:29 -0500 Tom "spot" Callaway
<tcallawa at redhat.com> wrote:
>Not to ask stupid questions, but should that have ever worked? I'd think
>an outright rejection would be far useful than creating empty files
>innocently.

It should work because inodes and data blocks are two distinct resources
within a filesystem that UNIX/Linux quotas have the flexibility in
controlling separately.

Behaviors (especially those with decades long precedence) shouldn't change
without very good reason, and they certaintly shouldn't change
non-deliberately.

I wonder if POSIX has anything to say about quota behavior.

Since I posted the message, I checked a SLES10 box using ext3 with acls and
user_xattr. It's behaves as expected in the traditional manner. Being over
your data block quota doesn't impact the ability to create zero byte files.

Empty files are not usually accidents.
___
Dax Kelson
Guru Labs