Announcing Fedora 7 Test 4 (6.93)

Max Spevack mspevack at redhat.com
Mon Apr 30 13:50:13 UTC 2007

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

>>       * In previous test releases the default product was called
>>         "Prime", but after feedback from Marketing and the community it
>>         has been renamed simply "Fedora".
>
> Are you referring to Red Hat marketing here? It certainly wasn't
> discussed in Fedora Marketing. Where was this discussed publicly?

It was discussed a few times by the Fedora Board, and ultimately the
decision was made that we would ask Red Hat's branding team what they
thought made the most sense.

The feedback that we received from them was several-fold:

Most importantly: call something what it is, and *don't* give something a
name that doesn't make it clear what it is.

As such, several of our names made a lot of sense:

Fedora 7 Gnome Live CD
Fedora 7 KDE Live CD
Fedora 7 Everything

All of these are good names.  You know what it is, just by looking at the
name.

Fedora Prime fails this test miserably.  "Prime" sounds cute, but it
doesn't *mean* anything.  "Core" is a deprecated term, and "Classic" was
voted down by the community.  All of the other suggestions that I have
seen, IMHO, fell into the same trap that "Prime" did.

The recommendation that Red Hat's branding team made, therefore, was that
we look at "the spin that is similar to what Core used to be" and simply
call it "Fedora 7".

That recommendation was acceptable to the Board, and was passed along to
Jesse as the release engineer.  If it was a bit of a surprise to the rest
of the community until the Test4 announcement went out, the fault there is
mine and not Jesse's or anyone else's.

FWIW, I think that calling the "previously Core" spin simply "Fedora" is
fine.  Think about a potential fedoraproject.org front page with a few
download links:

-----------------

GET FEDORA 7

I want to install a basic desktop:
  * Gnome-based installable Live CD
  * KDE-based installable Live CD

I want to install a desktop/server/development box:
  * link to torrents, ISOs, etc

I want to install Everything:
  * link to torrents/trees, etc.

I want to build my own custom version of Fedora:
  * link to docs on how

--
Max Spevack
+ http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MaxSpevack