RPM roadmapping

Peter Jones pjones at redhat.com
Thu Aug 2 14:45:04 UTC 2007

Panu Matilainen wrote:

> Not everybody is on rpm-maint list and we'd like to hear the wishes of
> (Fedora) developers/packagers too. So: what have you always wanted to do
> with rpm, but wasn't able to? Or the other way around: what you always
> wished rpm would do for you? What always annoyed you out of your mind?

This came up yesterday, so it's fresh in my mind.  It'd be nice to have
a mechanism for ordering constraints that didn't double as a package
discovery mechanism.  That is, "Antecedent: foo" rather than "Requires:
foo", where the the former is only used by tsort, and if the package is
absent the ts will still pass a dep check.

The specific case is the ordering during installation; if you're using
e.g. iscsi, then we need this (fragment) install ordering:

iscsi-initiator-utils
mkinitrd
kernel

But we don't want mkinitrd to actually depend on iscsi-initiator-utils;
it shouldn't normally get installed unless you're actually using it.

--
   Peter