Kernel Modules in Fedora -x

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Fri Aug 3 17:13:26 UTC 2007

On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 17:57:46 +0200
Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora at leemhuis.info> wrote:

> As kmods are on the way out in
> general in Fedora (which is something I in parts agree with) it's even
> more unlikely now.

kmods as separate packages is what's hopefully on the way out.  Out of
tree modules can still be included in the main kernel rpm.  It makes
things tramendously easier to keep them in the kernel tree so that they
are built right along with the kernel.  It's easier on the end user's
system too as they always get a kernel with the module they need.

And now the kernel maintainers would be the deciders as to what goes in
our out of our kernel, so the same criteria that is used for the kernel
is now used for kernel modules which is completely fair (everybody
plays by the same rules)

--
Jesse Keating