Rawhide problems: GNOME locks up & kernel update

Debarshi 'Rishi' Ray debarshi.ray at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 22:15:56 UTC 2007

After updating a few packages from Rawhide, I notice the following problems:

a. The GNOME desktop (I do not have KDE or XFCE) locks up, while
changing windows. Say I have Firefox, Emacs, and XChat-GNOME open and
I am changing from one window to the other, the entire desktop
suddenly stops responding to keystrokes and mouse clicks. When this
happens usually Ctrl-Alt-Backspace and Ctrl-Alt-F1 works, but there
was one occasion when it did not. The only solution is to restart X or
to hard reboot.

It is to be noted that I was running kernel-2.6.21-1.3228.fc7.i686,
and runlevel 3 seemed to be unaffected.

b. While updating the kernel to the latest in Rawhide, I keep getting
end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0
Buffer I/O error on device fd0, logical block 0

Please note that I do not have a floppy drive, although my motherboard
(ASUS with a VIA chipset) has a slot for it.

Here are the packages which I updated from Rawhide before trying out the kernel:
  bash
  cups-libs
  dvd+rw-tools
  emacs
  emacs-common
  firefox
  exaile
  gnash
  gnash-plugin
  gnome-terminal
  gnutls
  gnutls-devel
  gstreamer*
  gzip
  less
  system-config-*

Shall I file it in Bugzilla? If yes, against which component?

Thanks,
Debarshi
--
GPG key ID: 63D4A5A7