Kernel Modules in Fedora -x

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Aug 5 18:14:31 UTC 2007

Alexander Boström wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-08-03 at 14:37 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> I just appreciate the fact that on my Windows and Mac boxes I don't
>> have
>> to get or rebuild every vendor-supplied driver after every system
>> update
>> and I think Solaris works that way too.
>
> OTOH, you can't update to 64-bit Vista, because there are no drivers.
> And what's the solution to that? Have driver producers license and
> escrow their source code to Microsoft, so that they can distribute the
> drivers with the OS. Sounds like a good idea. Why isn't Linus doing
> that? Oh wait, he is. :)

That sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. It's not really the business of
an OS to own and restrict everything that touches it, whether on the
driver or application interfaces. Attempting that will limit what users
can do with it.  Would you, for example, put all of your critical data
on a firewire drive while you upgrade through the kernels used from FC5
to current?

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com