Recap: Networking problems with LDAP?

Kelly lightsolphoenix at gmail.com
Sun Aug 5 22:21:21 UTC 2007

I just want to re-mention this problem, because I saw it again yesterday and I
think it's rather important to look into...

Fedora 7 doesn't use network anymore; instead, it uses NetworkManager to
create network connections at startup.  That's fine, except for one thing;
NetworkManager needs DBus to be running to start, and DBus won't start unless
the system can get all the logins at that point.  There's no problem if all
logins are local, but if they aren't (using LDAP or ActiveDirectory or
something like that), then the DBus startup script hangs, then crashes out,
which is no good.

I tried moving NetworkManager up, but as I mentioned before, it requires DBus
to already be running.  That means that the system has to run the network
init script if the system is using network logins, just so DBus can get the
list of logins at startup.  The problem completely disappeared when I
reactivated the normal network init script.