RPM roadmapping

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at redhat.com
Tue Aug 7 11:49:13 UTC 2007

On Sun, 5 Aug 2007, Matthias Clasen wrote:

> One more thing that would be nice to take into consideration for rpm is
> support for language packs or some way to install a limited set of
> locales. We have traditionally kept our head in the sand, and said
> rpm does not support this, disks are getting bigger anyway. But for
> making useful live cds, something like this is pretty much indispensable
> (considering that OOo with all locales is already bigger than one cd).
>
> The existing %lang tag support might be almost good enough.

Actually rpm does already support installing only a limited set of locales
via %{_install_langs} macro setting, and I think anaconda even set that to
match the selected languages at some point. It's just not that useful
since there's no way (apart from reinstalling with --force) to get back
any of the skipped languages.

Creating sub-packages for different locales doesn't suffer from that
problem but causes package (metadata) bloat...

 	- Panu -