RPM roadmapping

Jonathan Dieter jdieter at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 14:02:39 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-08-07 at 16:33 +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Aug 2007, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > On Tue, 2007-08-07 at 14:49 +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> >> Actually rpm does already support installing only a limited set of locales
> >> via %{_install_langs} macro setting, and I think anaconda even set that to
> >> match the selected languages at some point. It's just not that useful
> >> since there's no way (apart from reinstalling with --force) to get back
> >> any of the skipped languages.
> >
> > Thats what I meant with the existing support. What it is missing is that
> > rpm needs to track the installed and skipped locales per-package, and
> > some smart way to reinstall the relevant subset of packages when a new
> > locale is added to the system.
>
> Yup.
>
> >> Creating sub-packages for different locales doesn't suffer from that
> >> problem but causes package (metadata) bloat...
> >
> > Yeah, that is going to make the package database explode. Out of
> > interest, does the rpm database contain the %lang(<locale>) information
> > from the file lists, currently ?
>
> Sure - how else could it support the above to the extent it currently
> does? :)
>
> Something like this can be used to extract the info:
> rpm -q --qf '[%{FILENAMES}\t%{FILELANGS}\n]' <package>
>
>  	- Panu -

Just a heads up that deltarpm only works if the *whole* rpm is
installed.  If any files are missing from the old rpm (i.e. anaconda's
excluded them because they're not the user's language), deltarpm will be
unable to rebuild the new rpm from the drpm, and yum will have to
download the full new rpm.

Jonathan