Kernel Modules in Fedora -x

Jon Masters jcm at redhat.com
Tue Aug 7 21:06:03 UTC 2007

On Fri, Aug 03, 2007 at 01:13:26PM -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 17:57:46 +0200
> Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora at leemhuis.info> wrote:
>
> > As kmods are on the way out in
> > general in Fedora (which is something I in parts agree with) it's even
> > more unlikely now.
>
> kmods as separate packages is what's hopefully on the way out.  Out of
> tree modules can still be included in the main kernel rpm.  It makes
> things tramendously easier to keep them in the kernel tree so that they
> are built right along with the kernel.  It's easier on the end user's
> system too as they always get a kernel with the module they need.

With respect, I completely disagree with this logic. This pre-supposes that
Fedora kernels will always include every third party driver that any user
might want to use, and that logic is never going to hold. There simply
must be a mechanism for third parties to package drivers for Fedora.

> And now the kernel maintainers would be the deciders as to what goes in
> our out of our kernel, so the same criteria that is used for the kernel
> is now used for kernel modules which is completely fair (everybody
> plays by the same rules)

Yay! Increasing user choice, by telling them what they can and can't add to
their kernels. I completely agree that Fedora doesn't need to own any kmods
in the core compose, but there simply must be a packaging process - can I
clarify that you want to completely do away with any third party packaged
kernel modules, even out of Core? Really?

FWIW, I'm happy to own third party packaging infrastructure, and have BZs
assigned to me on the Red Hat end of things for third party drivers.

> Fedora -- All my bits are free, are yours?

Yup. Including the drivers I added to my system.

Jon.