Enabling Compiz by default?

dragoran drago01 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 23:01:57 UTC 2007

On 8/10/07, Alan Cox <alan at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 10, 2007 at 12:26:05AM +0200, dragoran wrote:
> > > Compiz is too buggy to use - its still hopelessly broken with java
> menus
> >
> > thats java which is broken here not compiz.
> > its not hoplessly broken there is a workaround for it
> > export AWT_TOOLKIT="MToolkit
> > but there are other bugs I explained above (opengl apps)
>
> Allow me to explain the user view point
>
>         "I DONT CARE"

true.....

Compatibility works because the components don't plead strict standards
> compliance at each other but compensate. So if we are shipping compiz
> by default we need to either
>         - Fix java (assuming it all ends up free in time)

would be the best solution

        - Ensure the environment fix is set by default

would be easy to do but its somehow a hack.... but we did something similar
for flash before until it gots fixed so what...

> and you'd want to use one of the actually maintained compositing managers
> > > instead.
> >
> > ? don't understand this compiz _is_ activly maintained
>
> Didn't seem to be.

again I dunno where you got this do you mean compiz upstream or  in fedora?
I agree that compiz in fedora needs more love but upstream _is_ maintained
just look at the commits in the git tree:
http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=xorg/app/compiz.git;a=summary