Enabling Compiz by default?

Dave Airlie airlied at redhat.com
Thu Aug 9 23:30:30 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-08-09 at 19:05 -0400, Bernardo Innocenti wrote:
> On 08/09/2007 06:18 PM, Alan Cox wrote:
>
> > Compiz is too buggy to use - its still hopelessly broken with java menus
> > and you'd want to use one of the actually maintained compositing managers
> > instead.
>
> Which ones?
>
> Ubuntu Gutsy will have Compiz fusion by default.  And they're fixing
> bugs to reach this goal.  We could benefit from their work, or
> reinvent the wheel by going a different route.

Ubuntu aren't doing any work on fixing the technical problems with
compiz, if they turn it on on gutsy it'll be on nvidia binary drivers
only. Otherwise  things like 3D apps and movie playing will get
seriously screwed..

They are benefiting a lot more from the work Red Hat are doing than we
will ever benefit from them.

Dave.