Enabling Compiz by default?

Jon Nettleton jon.nettleton at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 02:53:18 UTC 2007

On 8/9/07, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:

> On Fri, 2007-08-10 at 03:24 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Have we considered enabling Compiz by default in GNOME and fall back to
> > metacity if the driver or hardware don't support acceleration? That
> > would get desktop effects out of the box on Intel and some ATI cards.
> .. and probably screw all others.
>
> I have compiz disabled on all my machines, because it
> a) is mere eye-candy and doesn't provide a useful feature.
> b) doesn't work on any of my machines.

I would seriously suggest trying  xfwm4 with compositing.  With just XAA
acceleration you can get smooth window dragging and resizing, with drop
shadows and menu transparency.  With EXA and greedy migration heuristics you
can get even nicer transparent windows when dragging and resizing.  On top
of that you get the ability to drag window to the edge of the screen and
onto another workspace.

Just some food for thought.

Jon