Enabling Compiz by default?

Jonathan Dieter jdieter at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 11:20:55 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-08-09 at 18:57 -0400, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 10, 2007 at 04:00:25AM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> >
> > If we did, we would ideally fix the bugs with power consumption and with
> > like Java. Getting it enabled by default (atleast in rawhide) might act
> > as a good incentive.  Think SELinux.
>
> They are not bugs - you are turning the 3D engine power planes on. That
> costs you a lot of electricity.

I run beryl 24/7 on a laptop, and I'm able to get roughly 2 1/2 hours on
battery while watching a movie when beryl is running.  This is running
the nvidia binary driver.

I quite like using beryl, but I've found that for most people I talk to
beryl/compiz is the software equivalent to having a webcam built in to a
laptop - a very cool idea that may convince you to try Linux, but not
something that you use much once you get it running.

I think that this alone is a good enough reason to enable compiz by
default on systems that will run it.

Jonathan