is DEVICE in ifcfg-* redundant?

Laurent Rineau laurent.rineau__fedora at normalesup.org
Fri Aug 10 12:07:36 UTC 2007

On Friday 10 August 2007 13:33:55 Stepan Kasal wrote:
> Hello,
>
> in most cases, /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-foo contains
> DEVICE=foo
>
> 1) Are there cases, where the file name differs from ifcfg-$DEVICE?

On my machine, I have several icfg-$STUFF where STUFF is not a device name,
but a sort of config name.

For example, I have some files like ifcfg-PierreHome, with DEVICE=eth1, that
allows me to set up a network with "ifup PierreHome", when I am not at home.

Nowdays, I prefere to use NetworkManager, instead of ifup, but ifup is a
fallback when I debug NetworkManager.

--
Laurent Rineau
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/LaurentRineau