Enabling Compiz by default?

Jon Nettleton jon.nettleton at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 20:25:21 UTC 2007

On 8/10/07, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/10/07, Jon Nettleton <jon.nettleton at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I think greying out, or darkening  the window decoration would make
> > a lot more sense.
>
> But... the window decoration is actually still..active. You can
> interact with the decoration... but not the window itself. I'm not
> sure that makes more sense as a visual cue. What about
> a 75% saturation or 75% brightness for the window. Is that distracting?
> -jef

I would have to see it to say.  I think what I find distracting is this
possibly
large real estate on my screen just did something.

My bigger problem is that it is yet another way for a user to be notified
that something is happening with their desktop.  Why would we flash
the taskbar or window decoration when a window is "urgent" or ready,
but darken the entire window when it wasn't responding?  If we are notifying
with the entire window then windows should come to foreground when
they are notifying the user they need attention.

I guess consistency is really what would be the least distracting.  I want
consistent notification behaviours.  Either tell me with window decorations,
or the entire window, but not with something different for every action.
That
is the real distraction to me.

Jon