Disabling atime

Eric Sandeen esandeen at redhat.com
Sat Aug 11 19:00:49 UTC 2007

Benjamin Lewis wrote:

> In my experience, viewing a folder of images as thumbnails is
> significantly slower with atime. Many users will be viewing folders of
> images methinks. In addition, most GUIs read a large (read huge) number
> of files when they load, so load times for the  GUI should be reduced also.

in my experience... should be...

Does anyone have any numbers?  This thread has been long on assertions,
and very short on measured results.

noatime may well be faster in various situations.  Is anyone who is
advocating noatime willing to demonstrate the speed gain quantitatively?

For such a long thread on performance tweaking why are there so few
benchmarks or timing results?

-Eric