Enabling Compiz by default?

Jon Nettleton jon.nettleton at gmail.com
Sat Aug 11 21:08:16 UTC 2007

On 8/11/07, David Nielsen <david at lovesunix.net> wrote:

> fre, 10 08 2007 kl. 12:31 -0400, skrev Matthias Clasen:
> > On Fri, 2007-08-10 at 12:32 -0400, Jon Nettleton wrote:
> >

> > > Why not look at a default compositor/window manager that allows basic
> > > compositing features without the need for a OpenGL accelerated
> > > graphics
> > > engine?
> >

> > Do you have one to offer ?
> >

> I believe Thomas Thurman has been doing a great deal of work on the
> compositor in Metacity, maybe that could be used - even if it likely
> lacks all the wonderful features presented by Compiz.

I am pretty sure the one in Metacity now requires OpenGL acceleration.
I don't really think that is something that we can insist upon as a default
window manager.

I have a great 3d card in my desktop and I really don't need my window
manager
spinning cubes and wobbling windows.  It was fun for about 2 days, then I
had to
get real work done and all I wanted was windows redrawn smoothly and
everything
else to just work.

Jon