Enabling Compiz by default?

Dave Airlie airlied at redhat.com
Sat Aug 11 23:52:57 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-08-12 at 05:13 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Dave Airlie wrote:
> >
> > There are two issues...
> >
> > 1. having a compositing manager by default will break a lot of apps on a
> > lot of drivers. We can probably enable by default on Intel hw when krh
> > and myself get things moving.
>
> (ah, finally a real answer)
>
> This was basically what I was driving it. If we could enable Compiz by
> default and automatically fall back to metacity, we would get Compiz out
> of the box on Intel hardware and a few others.
>
> When you say you want to get things moving are you referring to
> http://hoegsberg.blogspot.com/2007/08/redirected-direct-rendering.html?
>
> What would this offer us on open drivers that already support 3D?

Compositing breaks direct rendering, try running glxgears and rotating
the cube using open source drivers (nvidia do this properly). It can
also break Xv applications that use hardware overlays, usually using a
textured video backend is the workaround.

Kristians work is mainly at the prototype stage, we have a lot of work
to upstream, from the kernel graphics memory manager code to all of
Kristian and my changes to the intel driver, and also changes to the X
server etc.

Dave.